What is the best paint for a bathroom ceiling?

I am in the middle of of primary bathroom remodel. The bathroom will have a big walk-in shower. And while I have a vent fan right outside it, I expect the room to get steamy (as all bathrooms do, ha!).

The shower will have a tile ceiling, but for the rest of the room, we opted to just have drywall (green board) for the ceilings. I am doing the taping, mudding, and painting myself. Any tips on the best way to approach the finish and painting of the bathroom ceiling?

I am a huge fan of Benjamin Moore’s Aura Bath & Spa, but admittedly have not yet painted a bathroom ceiling. Is this good enough? Is there a great mold resistant primer I should use first?

Would love any advice on the best bathroom ceiling paint!

1 Like

If you have ventilation in the bathroom, I think Benjamin Moore’s Aura Bath & Spa primer would work just fine! Hot tip that I learned from someone in the trade: Apparently most paints that are labeled “bathroom paint” are just paint with some gloss, like eggshell or semi-gloss. But the good news is that most premium paints should be able to withstand moisture. I’ve used KILNZ primer before in bathrooms that don’t have much ventilation and have had no issues. It’s pretty heavy duty!

1 Like

Good tip on KILNZ! Interesting to hear about “bath” equalling glossy sheen. Benjamin Moore’s Aura Bath & Spa is a matte finish (which is why I love it), so hopefully it does the trick!

1 Like

I never shy away from a good white primer. That’s all we have ever used. I rarely use a “ceiling paint”.

1 Like

Keep us posted! I love the look of matte paint but have never tried it in a bathroom before.

1 Like

Benjamin Moore. Don’t use hardware store brands and go to a paint shop. Bathroom and exterior paints have anti-molding agents added to them and they’re usually a higher cost. Must for exteriors. Recommended for interiors if you live in a climate that consistently has above 40% humidity or poor ventilation or wall insulation. Ideally you should have a vent directly above your shower enclosure with automatic humidity detection. Ask the shop which paint base to use. It’s not just about gloss. Gloss is more about abrasion durability and appearance. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Don’t use matte in a bathroom. Eggshell or glossier. Alternatively vinyl wallpapers work well if you want pattern or texture.