Wallpaper on ceiling?

Hey there! I have a client who would like to wallpaper above high wainscotting and on the ceiling however, neither of us has done this application before. Do you have to choose certain patterns to do wall & ceiling together? I’ve looked online but not really found any good tips. Here is the design they are considering the wallpaper in that rendering or this one - Don’t worry art will be changed depending on wallpaper choice :slight_smile:

Hey @kateseymour! I helped a friend with this same application in the past and boy did we have a field day :slight_smile:

Busier floral wallpaper patterns are going to be more forgiving compared to more geometric, diagonal, or asymmetric wallpaper patterns. It’s best to choose a wallpaper that looks good when you hang it upside down and at a right angle. I think both the options you shared would work great for this application.

When you want to continue wallpaper from the walls to the ceiling without any crown or trim to break it up, you are going to have at least 4 seam points. I made this Plan Vizi as an example of your layout options:

The ceiling is the big rectangle in the center. The teal outlines are your seam points. The pink lines are fold points where the pattern continues on a corner or edge.

Option 1 is essentially wrapping the ceiling and walls like a package. This means you will have seam points in every corner of the room, but no seams where your walls meet the ceiling edge. This application is best for wallpaper patterns that look good at all angles (upside down, sideways, etc). If your wallpaper only works up and down, you are better off with Option 2. This option is also great if you will have built ins or large furniture placed in the corners of the room to hide the seams.

Option 2 is the most standard or common application. It means hanging the wallpaper on the walls as you normally would - left to right around the room. And then picking one wall to continue up onto the ceiling. This is the best option for traditional wallpaper that has a correct top and bottom. Choose the focal point wall of the room as the wall to continue up onto the ceiling.

Option 3 is kind of a mix of the other two options. You would wrap the wallpaper from one wall all the way across the ceiling and back down the parallel wall. This also only works if the pattern can look okay upside down.

I would make the decision between layouts based on the wallpaper pattern and the location of windows, doors, and the focal point and sight lines of the room.

My best advice would be to mock it up as a floor plan or elevation in Spoak with the wallpaper pattern to scale so you can see how your seams will all match up.

Given you only have a sliver of wallpaper above the wainscoting , Option 1 would be my preferred application for your client’s space so that you have the shortest seams.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for that! You should do a blog post, I couldn’t find any article/info on like like this! For option one, you’d likely need to join strips at the ends (hope I’m saying this right) since one strip probably won’t be long enough to go across the ceiling and wall right? My brain is spinning haha. We did also talk about doing a thin crown molding just to be safe as they are installing it themselves and haven’t done much wallpaper.

1 Like

The roll length of the wallpaper will determine if you have enough room to use a single strip for the entire ceiling. Single rolls are typically 16.5’ long while double rolls are typically 33’. But if they are using peel and stick, sometimes these only come in 12’ lengths.

If your clients decide to go with a thin crown molding, then I would definitely have them go with Option 2 and paint the thin crown the case color of the wallpaper pattern.

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

2 Likes

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

1 Like