Watch/Re-Watch show recommendations 📺

Lately when I’m deciding what to watch, especially with the current state of the world, I’m looking for escapism. I’m looking for laughs. I’m looking for the 30 minutes of dissociation that I deserve. With that being said, I have a few shows to share in case you’re looking for the same thing.

Firstly and most importantly, I need to know, have you started/finished your HBO Girls rewatch yet? I have to say, this show hits different 10 years later. It’s insane. It’s hilarious. It’s so unhinged. And it’s really doing it for me lately. If you didn’t hop on the wave of Girls in the early 2010’s, it’s never too late to start now. Dive in. Enjoy the absolutely ridiculous shenanigans of 4 generally-out-of-touch-with-reality girls living in the city in their early 20’s and trying to figure out what it means to be a functioning human in society (and failing big time).

My next rec is questionable. It’s a true escapism show for me. It might be a Bridgerton knock off, but better (and worse at the same time?). I’m talking about Apple TV’s The Buccaneers. Even the name is a little cringe, I’ll admit, but I’m here for the decadence. If I want to turn my brain off with an A24-meets-Disney-Princess period piece, this is what I’m choosing. The plot is something along the lines of new money New York entering the traditional English debutante society. Think English countryside garden parties in pretty dresses and champaign. Think scenes of a Duke painting on the beach of the English coast, and then taking a dip in the ocean fully dressed. All with an Olivia Rodrigo soundtrack. If you’re the kind of person who watches a little show before bed, this one is sure to give you sweet dreams. Indulge in a little brain break and let me know what you think of this show.

What shows are you watching right now? I’m always looking for new recs!

1 Like

This whole thread is resonating with me but especially the part about Girls. My friend and I have been talking about rewatching it for years now, and we’ve both slowly started chipping away at season 1, very inconsistently. This is the reminder I needed to go all in. And honestly, I know nothing about The Buccaneers, but this might just be what I need to sprinkle into my media diet because I need more wholesome.

I’m currently at the EDGE of my seat over the Golden Bachelor. I’ve never watched any of the Bachelor/Bachelorette seasons prior, so I’m going into it feeling like a reality TV :older_woman: and I’m soaking it all in. Is Gerry real??? Can someone be so soft spoken and wholesome?? Who is he going to choose this week!!?

Aside from that, I’m currently watching VEEP. I love Julia Louis-Dreyfus and sometimes you need something other than Seinfeld to get the Julia dose in. And last but not least, I just finished watching the new season of RHONY — went into this one without ever watching a prior Housewife season. Anything for Jenna Lyons!!

Damn I watch more TV than I thought I did :upside_down_face: