Vendors benefits to architects and interior designers

Hola amigos!
(Hello Friends in Spanish)

I have a dilemma, and I’m sure there’s no better place than this forum to get some advice from all of you :slight_smile:

I’m working on a residential project in southern Mexico (Tulum Beach), where I’ll be helping the client with the interior design of their home. This project includes sourcing furniture, art, and accessories.

My question is: how do you handle vendor discounts or benefits? The agreement with the client, of course, includes a fee for the interior design proposal and a percentage of the total project cost. However, as you may know, many vendors offer a special discount or bonus to me as a professional. How do you manage this? Do you keep a percentage and pass another percentage to the client? I’m asking because, in the past, I worked in high-end furniture stores and noticed that some well-known designers fell into unethical practices. I encountered clients who were shocked by the real prices of certain items, and some even had serious issues with their architects or designers.

My husband, who isn’t even a designer, suggested that I should at least take something fair, like 5% from each vendor, since sourcing furniture and managing vendors takes a lot of time and effort.

What do you think about this?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :slight_smile: