When do you decide to DIY vs hire out?

I think as a design enthusiast and someone that consumes A LOT of DIY based social media, I can convince myself or my partner that we can do pretty much anything on our own.
But where do you draw the line? Do you always hire a plumber or an electrician no matter what? One of the most common things I like to watch is DIY tile videos, they’re so satisfying! And I think I could do it on my own? But maybe I’ll drive myself crazy noticing imperfections because I know I made the mistake. :sweat_smile:
LMK what you think Spoak community!

1 Like

Hi Zoe!!

My boyfriend and I love to DIY too and I am also always convinced I can do anything. Didn’t you see that they did that entire house on HGTV in 45min? Easy peasy I can do it too (even though I have no experience with anything :smile:) Luckily my boyfriend has a ton of real world job experience in low voltage electrical work and general construction/handy man work so we’re able to do a ton ourselves. Our general rule is: if we are thinking of tackling a project that we have zero experience with that is a matter of safety (think electrical work that requires a skilled electrician) we hire out. Also something that is an extreme amount of physical labor that would take foorreeever we hire out. We are in the middle of a large backyard renovation, in Phoenix, so we knew right away we were not about to excavate the backyard in 110 degree weather, we aren’t going to lay pavers, we weren’t going to mix cement by hand etc. Things that didn’t even sound fun to do ourselves in the first place. I also like to take the pressure off. Sometimes we start a project that seems manageable and if at any point we think it’s too much to tackle we can always hire out. Also, if you’re not sure, almost all companies or handy men will come out for a free estimate on price of the project and I’ve found they’re all willing to talk about how extensive and difficult the job will be. So after talking to someone who is giving you an estimate you realize you can save a TON of money and a project wouldn’t be impossible sometimes we’ve decided to go ahead and do it on our own. To take the pressure off too sometimes we hire out on a project and after seeing how much it costs to hire a company and how much work goes in to the project you can decide the next time you tackle the same or similar project you could have totally done it yourself.

1 Like